Welcome Transfer Students!
The Office of New Student Programs welcomes you to NC State University, a community of achievers rich in tradition and academic excellence. To assist you in becoming a part of this community, we invite you to attend a Transfer Orientation session. Orientation is mandatory for all transfer and newly matriculated degree-seeking students.
After being registered for August Orientation, be sure to complete the following:
- Review details about the New Student Orientation program in the sections below.
- Review the New Student Checklist which will guide you through tasks you need to complete before starting in August.
- Click here to find information about contacting your academic advisor for advising and course registration assistance before attending Transfer Orientation.
- Print the Orientation Parking Permit.
- Download our mobile guide for additional access to information about Orientation and transitioning to NC State!
August Orientation for transfer students will take place on Friday, August 17th, 2018. Attendance is mandatory for students and highly recommended for parents and family members.
Friday, August 17, 2018
- Check-In: 8:00am-8:45am, Talley Student Union, 3rd Floor
- Family and student programming will take place from 8:00am-5:00pm
- Lunch will be provided for the student and up to two guests attending Family Orientation
Students who have been registered for August Orientation by New Student Programs should be able to see their registration confirmed in their wolfPAW account.
The cost of attendance is included in the mandatory New Student Fee charged to all new transfer students.
- This fee covers your attendance and the attendance of up to two guests for Family Orientation, including guests’ materials and lunch tickets (up to two per family) for Fountain Dining Hall.
- This does not include overnight housing for students or family members. See the “Housing” section below for more information.
- No payment is due to New Student Programs. The New Student Fee will be included in your Fall tuition bill.
During Transfer Student Orientation, you will learn about NC State’s resources, opportunities, and expectations, and how these may be different than your previous institution. You will also have the opportunity to meet with your academic program and get to know other new transfer students.
- Orientation Check-in is from 8:00 to 8:45 a.m. in Talley Student Union.
- You should plan to attend the program until 5:00pm.
- Once you arrive on campus using the directions provided below, Orientation signs will direct you to the parking lots where you able to park during your Orientation.
- The majority of the program will take place in Talley Student Union, and lunch will be provided at Fountain Dining Hall.
POLICY REGARDING ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AT ORIENTATION:
No Alcoholic Beverages Allowed. Orientation participants, as students of North Carolina State University, are subject to the Code of Student Conduct. It mandates that consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages by all persons under the age of 21 is strictly forbidden. This is also the law in the State of North Carolina. Students who disregard this mandate will be held accountable for their behavior and disciplinary actions from the University will result.
Students have choices for housing during the August 17th session. Students can make other arrangements for housing in the area (i.e., an apartment or hotel) or move into their on-campus residence hall early (prior to August 17th).
For more information for those living in University Housing, please continue reading:
- If you are living in University Housing, please note that you will be able to move into your residence hall room on August 18th (the official Move-In date).
- Alternatively, students may ask University Housing (if they are living on-campus for the fall semester) to move into their residence hall early if they wish. Information can be found on the University Housing Move-In Website (coming soon).
- If you are moving into a residence hall early, please refer to the information you receive directly from University Housing regarding your specific move-in process. If you have any questions as you are preparing for Move-In Day, feel free to contact University Housing at 919.515.2440 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for a list of local hotels offering discounts through Parents and Families Services.
Directions and Parking Permit
PARKING FOR FRIDAY, AUGUST 17, 2018
- Orientation participants may park on campus in the Coliseum Parking Deck located off Dunn Avenue. The deck address is 201 Jeter Drive, Raleigh, NC 27607.
- Please print the Orientation Parking Permit and place the permit on the passenger side dashboard of your vehicle. It must be displayed at all times.
HOW TO GET TO NC STATE:
- Directions to the Coliseum Parking Deck (201 Jeter Drive, Raleigh, NC 27607) can be found on the NC State Campus Map interactive website.
- Visit the University Transportation website for road construction updates/closings.
- Please do not try to enter campus via Dan Allen Drive from Hillsborough Street. The road is gated and not accessible to campus from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
What to Bring
Please bring the following items to Orientation:
- August Orientation Parking Permit
- Valid driver’s license or other government-issued photo ID (to have your Wolfpack One Card campus ID card made)
- Copies of your previous transcripts (unofficial copies) and any AP/IB/SAT II scores (if available)
- Make sure you know your Unity ID and password and have answered your three security questions
- Comfortable clothes/sneakers – you will be doing a lot of walking!
- Pen and paper
- Sweater or light jacket as some buildings can be chilly
- Reusable water bottle
Please leave electronic items (iPad, laptop, etc.) and other valuables at home or in your residence hall room.
Family Orientation Information
New Student Programs recommends that all students consider registering parents and family members for the concurrent Family Orientation program. This program, designed specifically to assist families with their transition to the Wolfpack, is optional but highly encouraged. Learn more about August Family Orientation here.
Housing is NOT included for family members in the First-Year Student fee. Click here for a list of local hotels offering discounts through Parents and Families Services.
Advising and Course Registration
Registration is the procedure whereby a student, after consultation with an advisor, selects courses to be taken during the next semester. Students attending the August Orientation session should contact their academic advisors prior to attending August Orientation. Click here for detailed instructions.
In an effort to ensure you are registered in the appropriate courses, placement/skills assessments are offered – and some required – by certain departments such as math, English, and foreign languages. Information about these assessments can be found here.
Meet the Orientation Leaders
Each year New Student Programs selects a group of mature and dedicated undergraduate leaders to assist with implementing university orientation programs throughout the year. Orientation Leaders serve as resources and peer advisors to new students and family members attending orientation programs.
Download the NC State University Guides app on your smartphone to access the “2018 New Students” mobile guide. It gives you on-the-go information related to your transition to NC State including Orientation schedules, important dates, and more! Click here for download instructions.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, NC State will honor requests for reasonable accommodations made by individuals with disabilities. If you are a student or guest attending a New Student Programs event, have a disability and desire any assistive devices, services, or other accommodations (e.g., ASL interpreter, large print, etc.) to participate in this event, please contact Lori Wilson at email@example.com or 919.515.1234 during business hours of 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. EST as soon as possible or at least 10 working days prior to the event.