Welcome, Class of 2027!
The Office of New Student Programs welcomes you to NC State University, a community of achievers rich in tradition and academic excellence. To assist you in becoming a part of the Wolfpack, we invite you to attend a First-Year Student Orientation session.
August Orientation is a make up session for students who cannot attend their college or program’s designated sessions in June/July/August. Review the information below to help prepare for your session, and contact New Student Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919.515.1234 if you have questions.
Registering for Orientation
August Orientation for first-year students will take place Thursday, August 17, 2023 and Friday, August 18, 2023.
Day 1: Thursday, August 17, 2023 (approximately 3:00 pm to 9:00 pm)
- Required programming will take place until 9:00 pm (Dinner will be provided)
Day 2: Friday, August 18, 2023
- Required programming will take place from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (Breakfast and lunch will be provided)
The cost of attendance is included in the mandatory First-Year Student Fee charged to all new first-year students.
- This fee covers your attendance and the attendance of up to two guests for Family Orientation, including guests’ materials and lunch tickets (up to two per family) for Fountain Dining Hall.
- This does not include overnight housing for family members. A comprehensive list of area hotels that offer discounts to NC State family members is available on the Parents & Families Services website.
- No payment is due to New Student Programs. The First-Year Student Fee will be included in your Fall tuition bill.
New Student Programs recommends that all students consider registering parents and family members for the concurrent Family Orientation program. This program, designed specifically to assist families with their transition to the Wolfpack, is optional but highly encouraged. Learn more on the Family Orientation section of this website and follow the registration instructions below.
Housing for families is NOT included in the First-Year Student fee. A comprehensive list of area hotels that offer discounts to NC State family members is available on the Parents & Families Services website. NC State does not endorse any particular entities that are not part of NC State. The University has no responsibility with respect to any entities, or the housing or services they offer.
Only students who have been accepted to NC State and have paid their advance enrollment deposit can register for orientation.
- Log into your wolfPAW account.
- Click the block on your main portal page that says “New Student Orientation”
- Read the instructions, and select the August Orientation session (the only orientation option remaining). Only the session(s) available to you (based on your college and/or major) will be offered as possibilities.
- Click the radio button next to the orientation session.
- Add the number of people attending, including yourself and any family members.
- Fill in guest contact information if you are registering family members.
- Indicate if you need to make a request for accommodations or have concerns about technology.
- Click “Submit.” A confirmation email will be sent to the email you used to log in. Please keep a copy of this email for your records.
- Contact New Student Programs at email@example.com if you have a conflict with attending your designated Orientation session(s).
Preparing for Orientation
Please bring the following items to Orientation:
- Valid driver’s license or other government-issued photo ID (to have your Wolfpack One Card campus ID card made)
- Copies of your AP/IB/SAT II scores if available
- Make sure you know your Unity ID and password and have answered your three security questions
- Comfortable clothes/sneakers – you will be doing a lot of walking!
- Pen and paper
- Sweater or light jacket as some buildings can be chilly
- Reusable water bottle
Please leave electronic items (iPad, laptop, etc.) and other valuables at home.
During New Student Orientation, students will learn about North Carolina State University while meeting with their college representatives, receiving information about campus resources, and meeting other students.
- Day 1 of the Orientation program will run from approximately 3:00 pm to 9:00 pm, and Day 2 of the Orientation program will last from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Once you arrive on campus using the directions provided below, Orientation signs will direct you to the parking lot where you able to park during your Orientation.
- Meals for students during Orientation (dinner on the first day and breakfast and lunch on the second day) are included in the First-Year Student fee and will be served at Fountain Dining Hall.
Download the 2022 schedule for an idea of what to expect. (2023 Orientation Schedules available in July)
POLICY REGARDING ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AT ORIENTATION:
No Alcoholic Beverages Allowed. Orientation participants, as students of North Carolina State University, are subject to the Code of Student Conduct. It mandates that consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages by all persons under the age of 21 is strictly forbidden. This is also the law in the State of North Carolina. Students who disregard this mandate will be held accountable for their behavior and disciplinary actions from the University will result.
Housing is only provided for those students living in University Housing. Students not living in University Housing must make their own arrangements for housing for Thursday night.
- Students can stay in their residence hall if they are living on campus for the fall semester or they may arrange other housing in the area.
- If you are living in University Housing, please note that you will be able to move into your residence hall room on the morning of Thursday, August 17.
- If you have a move-in appointment that is after 12 pm on August 17 or you have not signed up for a time, you are approved to check in on August 17. You do not need to schedule a move-in appointment. Your name will be on an approved list for check-in. Just go to the check-in location for your assignment and they will get you officially checked in.
- If you have any questions If you have any questions as you are preparing for Move-In Day, feel free to contact University Housing at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919.515.2440.
Move-In Unloading Procedures
Visit University Housing’s Fall Move-In website for more information on the Move-In process.
PARKING FOR ORIENTATION (THURSDAY, AUGUST 17 – FRIDAY, AUGUST 18)
Orientation participants may park on campus in the Coliseum Parking Deck entering via Jensen Drive. The parking lot address is 201 Jensen Drive, Raleigh, NC 27606.
HOW TO GET TO NC STATE:
- Directions to the Coliseum Parking Deck (201 Jensen Drive, Raleigh, NC 27607) can be found using this Waze Link or on the NC State Campus Map interactive website.
- Visit the University Transportation website for road construction updates/closings.
- Please do not try to enter campus via Dan Allen Drive from Hillsborough Street. The road is gated and not accessible to campus from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Students and families attending Orientation will use a free virtual parking permit that is validated using license plate recognition. The permit will be valid for the Coliseum Parking Deck from 7:00 am – 5:00 pm for both days of your session. Parking is free and open to the public after 5:00 pm.
Register for your permit before leaving for Orientation (will be sent via email 10 days prior to the event), and note that you will need your license plate information to complete the online form. If you are bringing guests for Family Orientation, please only complete this online registration form once for each vehicle that will need parking during Orientation.
Important Virtual Permit Notes:
- This permit is free for guests, and you should not need to enter credit card information. If you use a credit card to purchase another permit in error, refunds are not available.
- Accessible parking is available. It is only valid when a state-issued placard is displayed in your vehicle and you have registered for an accessible virtual Orientation permit through NC State (instructions above).
- If you need to change which vehicle you are bringing after registering, call the NC State Transportation office at 919.515.3424 to edit your permit.
- If you will be using a rental car, wait to register for a virtual permit once you have the vehicle and its license plate information.
If you have any questions throughout the summer about orientation or your transition to NC State, contact New Student Programs via:
- Text 833.712.1255 (Weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm)
- Email email@example.com
- Call 919.515.1234 (Weekdays from 8 am to 5 pm)
In compliance with the ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, NC State will honor requests for reasonable accommodations made by individuals with disabilities. If you are a person with a disability and need an accommodation to participate in the New Student and Family Orientation program, please contact Laila Mohamed at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919.515.1234 during business hours of 8 am to 5 pm EST as soon as possible or at least 10 working days prior to the event.