Welcome, International Students!
The Offices of New Student Programs and International Services (OIS) welcome you to NC State University, a community of achievers rich in tradition and academic excellence. Orientation, a three day program that is required for all first-year and transfer international students, will help you prepare for your transition into the United States and college life as well as the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead—intellectually, emotionally, academically, and socially.
This page is for undergraduate international students beginning at NC State in August 2020. If you are a Summer Start student (beginning June 2020) or a domestic student (beginning August 2020) view the following pages for Orientation sessions specifically designed for your transition.
Registering for Orientation
August Orientation for international students will take place Wednesday, August 12th through Friday, August 14th, 2020. Orientation will begin with check-in on Wednesday morning at 8:30am in Talley Student Union and will run until approximately 5:00pm on Friday.
New Student Programs recommends that all students consider registering parents and family members for the concurrent Family Orientation program. This program, designed specifically to assist families with their transition to the Wolfpack, is optional but highly encouraged. Learn more on the International Family Orientation webpage.
Housing is NOT included for family members in the new international student fees. A comprehensive list of area hotels that offer discounts to NC State family members is available on the Parents & Families Services website.
The cost of attendance is included in the mandatory fees charged to all new first-year and transfer international students. All incoming first-year and transfer international students will pay the following fees:
- First-Year Students will pay the First-Year Student Fee and the International Orientation Fee.
- Transfer Students will pay the Transfer Student Fee and the International Orientation Fee.
Notes About Fees:
- These fees cover your attendance and the attendance of up to two guests for Family Orientation, including guests’ materials and lunch tickets (up to two per family) for Fountain Dining Hall.
- This does not include overnight housing for family members. A comprehensive list of area hotels that offer discounts to NC State family members is available on the Parents & Families Services website.
- No payment is due to New Student Programs. The mandatory fees will be included in your Fall tuition bill.
New Student Orientation is mandatory for all incoming students. Only those students who have been accepted and paid their advanced enrollment deposit ($300.00) can register for Orientation. Registration is now open, and all students who have paid their deposit will receive an email inviting them to register for Orientation. Please allow three days for processing to receive your invitation email.
To register for Orientation:
- Log into the Orientation registration system using the email address at which you received the invitation and your student ID number. You can find your student ID number in your wolfPAW portal under “Account Information”.
- Read the instructions and select the International Orientation Session to attend (this will be the only option listed).
- Click “Submit”.
- A confirmation email will be sent to the email you used to login. Please keep a copy of this email for your records.
- Contact New Student Programs at email@example.com immediately if you have a conflict with attending the designated session(s) for your college or program.
Summer Start Students
If you are a confirmed participant in the Summer Start Program, New Student Programs will register you for the Summer Start Orientation session on Thursday, June 18 – Friday, June 19, 2020 (First-Year) or Friday, June 19, 2020 (Transfer). You do not need to take any action to register for Orientation, and you will receive a confirmation email once you have been registered. Visit the Summer Start Orientation webpage for additional details.
- After paying your Enrollment Deposit, please allow three days for processing before attempting to register for New Student Orientation.
- If you are having difficulty with the registration process or would prefer to register over the phone, please call New Student Programs at 919.515.1234.
- If you will not be attending NC State you must notify the office of Undergraduate Admissions by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preparing for Orientation
Please bring the following items to Orientation:
- Valid government-issued photo ID (to have your Wolfpack One Card campus ID card made)
- Make sure you know your Unity ID and password and have answered your three security questions
- Comfortable clothes/sneakers-you will be doing A LOT OF WALKING!
- Pen and paper
- Sweater or light jacket as some buildings can be chilly
Please leave electronic items (iPad, laptop, etc.) and other valuables at home.
During International Orientation, students will learn about transitioning to the United States and North Carolina State University while learning about topics such as immigration status and academic success, meeting with their college representatives, receiving information about campus resources, and meeting other students. The Orientation program will begin on August 12th at 8:30am in Talley Student Union and will conclude on Friday, August 14th at 5:00pm. Download sample schedules from 2019:
POLICY REGARDING ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AT ORIENTATION: No Alcoholic Beverages Allowed. Orientation participants, as students of North Carolina State University, are subject to the Code of Student Conduct. It mandates that consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages by all persons under the age of 21 is strictly forbidden. This is also the law in the State of North Carolina. Students who disregard this mandate will be held accountable for their behavior and disciplinary actions from the University will result.
Housing is only provided for those students living in University Housing. Students not living in University Housing must make their own arrangements.
- Students can stay in their residence hall if they are living on campus for the fall semester or they may arrange other housing in the area.
- If you are living in University Housing, please note that you will be able to move into your residence hall room on Tuesday, August 11th.
- Check-in at your residence hall’s designated Early Check-In Location to get your keys.
For a list of local hotels offering discounts for Orientation attendees, Visit the Parents & Families Services website.
PARKING FOR UNIVERSITY HOUSING MOVE-IN
Details coming soon
PARKING FOR ORIENTATION (WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12 – FRIDAY, AUGUST 14, 2020)
Orientation participants may park on campus in the Coliseum Parking Deck entering via Jensen Drive. The parking lot address is 201 Jensen Drive, Raleigh, NC 27606.
HOW TO GET TO NC STATE:
- Directions to the Coliseum Parking Deck (201 Jensen Drive, Raleigh, NC 27607) can be found using this Waze Link or on the NC State Campus Map interactive website.
- Visit the University Transportation website for road construction updates/closings.
- Please do not try to enter campus via Dan Allen Drive from Hillsborough Street. The road is gated and not accessible to campus from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
Students and families attending Orientation will use a free virtual parking permit that is validated using license plate recognition. The permit will be valid for the Coliseum Parking Deck from 7:00a.m. – 5:00p.m. for all three days of your session. Parking is free and open to the public after 5:00p.m.
Register for your permit before leaving for Orientation (online form available in July 2020) , and note that you will need your license plate information to complete the online form. If you are bringing guests for Family Orientation, please only complete this online registration form once for each vehicle that will need parking during Orientation.
Important Virtual Permit Notes:
- This permit is free for guests, and you should not need to enter credit card information. If you use a credit card to purchase another permit in error, refunds are not available.
- Accessible parking is available. It is only valid when a state-issued placard is displayed in your vehicle and you have registered for an accessible virtual Orientation permit through NC State (instructions above).
- If you need to change which vehicle you are bringing after registering, call the NC State Transportation office at 919.515.3424 to edit your permit.
- If you will be using a rental car, wait to register for a virtual permit once you have the vehicle and its license plate information.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, NC State will honor requests for reasonable accommodations made by individuals with disabilities. If you are a student or guest attending a New Student Programs event, have a disability and desire any assistive devices, services, or other accommodations (e.g., ASL interpreter, large print, etc.) to participate in this event, please contact Meredith Harms at email@example.com or 919.515.1234 during business hours of 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. EST as soon as possible or at least 10 working days prior to the event.