What is Tau Sigma?
Tau Sigma is a national academic honor society for transfer students who achieve a GPA greater than or equal to 3.5 during their first semester at NC State University. Tau Sigma’s mission is to “recognize and promote the academic excellence and involvement of transfer students.” The NC State chapter was founded in Fall 2015, and the first official induction ceremony of our chapter membership will occur in Spring 2016. NC State’s Tau Sigma chapter is one 150 chapters throughout the US, and among 12 chapters in North Carolina.
- You must transfer as a full time student to a four year institution of higher learning from another academic institution with at least one full year’s academic credits satisfied at the prior institution(s).
- The minimum academic average required for membership is either a 3.5 on a 4.0 scale (or the equivalent thereof) or an academic average that places the prospective candidate in the top 20% of all incoming transfer students during the term in question. With this, you must have attended NC State for one full semester to be eligible for Spring 2019 induction.
- Academic eligibility shall be obtained on the grades of one full curricular period, i.e., semester, trimester, quarter, or term. Eligibility is limited to the first term of enrollment at the institution to which the student transfers. Summer school session equivalent to a full curricular period may be used to meet the academic requirement.
Accepting Membership to Tau Sigma
Membership to Tau Sigma is by invitation only. Students who meet the membership criteria will be sent an invitation to join Tau Sigma National Honor Society. Students interested in becoming Tau Sigma members must complete the membership form and register via the online portal as indicated in the invitation’s instructions. There is a one-time $60 membership fee. If students do not respond to the initial invitation for membership, students are unable to join Tau Sigma at a later date.
What is included in Membership
- Certificate of Membership awarded at Chapter Induction ceremony
- Honors Graduation Cords
- Monthly membership socials
- Access to Tau Sigma community newsletter with campus events, leadership and professional opportunities
NC State Chapter Advisor
Assistant Director, New Student Programs