First-Year Spring Orientation
ANNOUNCEMENT: Due to unforeseen circumstances the Orientation registration system will not open on October 16th as previously advertised. We appreciate your patience, and you will receive an email to the email address you have on file with Admissions inviting you to register for Orientation when registration opens in WolfPAW. In the meantime to prepare, we recommend making sure you are able to log in to your WolfPAW account. Contact Undergraduate Admissions at 919-515-2434 if you need assistance with your login.
The Office of New Student Programs welcomes you to NC State University, a community of achievers rich in tradition and academic excellence. Through programs like New Student Orientation and Winter Welcome Week, we hope to provide you with the information and experiences to be prepared and excited to begin your college experience.
After paying your Advanced Enrollment Deposit confirming you are coming to NC State, be sure to complete the following:
- Read through this webpage to become familiar with Orientation details
- Register for Orientation on Thursday, January 4, 2018 by completing the online registration form via WolfPAW (coming soon)
- Review the New Student Checklist which will guide you through tasks you need to complete before starting in January
- Review instructions for academic advising and course registration below. Students who attend Spring Orientation should complete their class registration process during the fall before coming to campus.
- Print the Orientation Parking Permit
- Download the mobile guide and customize your orientation schedule! (coming soon)
Questions? Contact New Student Programs at 919.515.1234 or email@example.com. The University will be closed on the following days, so please keep this in mind when requesting assistance via phone or email:
- Thursday November 23 and Friday, November 24, 2017 for Thanksgiving
- Monday December 25, 2017 – January 1, 2018 for the Winter Holiday
Spring Orientation for incoming first-year students will take place on Thursday, January 4, 2018.
- Check-In: 8:00a.m. – 8:45a.m. in Talley Student Union
- Required programming will take place until 8:00pm (Lunch and Dinner will be provided)
- Optional social program will take place from 8:00pm-9:30pm
The cost of attendance is included in the mandatory First-Year Student Fee charged to all new first-year students.
- This fee covers your attendance and the attendance of up to two guests for Family Orientation, including guests’ materials and lunch tickets (up to two per family) for Fountain Dining Hall.
- This does not include overnight housing for family members. Click here for a list of local hotels offering discounts to Orientation attendees.
- No payment is due to New Student Programs. The First-Year Student Fee will be included in your Spring tuition bill.
Registration (coming soon)
New Student Orientation is mandatory for all incoming students. Only those students who have been accepted and paid their advanced enrollment deposit ($200.00) can register for Orientation. Registration will open in October, and all students who have paid their deposit will receive an email inviting them to register for Orientation.
To register for Orientation:
- Log in to your wolfPAW account.
- Click on the “Register for Orientation” link under the “My To-Do List” section on the Dashboard.
- Read the instructions and select the Spring Orientation session (January 4). Note: This will be the only the session available to you.
- Contact New Student Programs at 919.515.1234 immediately if you have a conflict with attending Orientation.
- After paying your Enrollment Deposit, please allow two days for processing before attempting to register for Spring Orientation.
- If you are having difficulty with the registration process or would prefer to register over the phone, please call New Student Programs at 919.515.1234.
- If you will not be attending NC State you must notify the office of Undergraduate Admissions. (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
During New Student Orientation, students will learn about NC State while meeting their college representatives, receiving information about campus resources and meeting other students.
- Orientation Check-in is from 8:00-8:45a.m. in Talley Student Union.
- Once you arrive on campus using the directions provided below, Orientation signs will direct you to the parking lots where you able to park during your Orientation.
- Lunch and dinner for students is included in the New Student Orientation fee and will be served at Fountain Dining Hall.
- Students should plan on required orientation programming running until 8:00p.m. that day. Optional social programming for students will follow.
- If your family members attend Family Orientation, their programming will end at 5:00p.m.
Detailed schedule coming in December
Housing is only provided for those students living in University Housing. Students not living in University Housing must make their own arrangements for housing. Students can stay in their residence hall if they are living on campus for the spring semester or they may arrange other housing in the area.
If you are living in University Housing, please note that you will be able to move into your residence hall room beginning at 12:00p.m. (noon) on Wednesday, January 3, 2018. Additional information will be emailed to you from University Housing if you have signed up to live on campus. If you have any questions, contact University Housing at 919.515.2440 or email@example.com.
If you or your family require hotel accommodations, a list of local hotels that offer discounts can be found through Parents & Families Services.
Directions and Parking Permit
PARKING FOR THURSDAY, JANUARY 4, 2018:
- Orientation participants may park on campus in the Coliseum Parking Deck located off Dunn Avenue. The deck address is 201 Jeter Drive, Raleigh, NC 27607.
- Use the Orientation Parking Permit and place the permit on the passenger side dashboard of your vehicle. It must be displayed at all times.
HOW TO GET TO NC STATE:
- Directions to the Coliseum Parking Deck (201 Jeter Drive, Raleigh, NC 27607) can be found on the NC State Campus Map interactive website.
- Visit the University Transportation website for road construction updates/closings.
- Please do not try to enter campus via Dan Allen Drive from Hillsborough Street. The road is gated and not accessible to campus from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
What to Bring
- Spring Orientation Parking Permit
- Valid driver’s license or other government-issued photo ID (to have your Wolfpack One Card campus ID card made)
- Copies of your AP/IB/SAT II scores if available
- Make sure you know your Unity ID and password and have answered your three security questions
- Comfortable clothes/sneakers – you will be doing a lot of walking!
- Pen and paper
- Reusable water bottle
- UmbrellaPlease leave electronic items (iPad, laptop, etc.) and other valuables at home or in your residence hall room.
New Student Programs recommends that all students consider registering parents and family members for the concurrent Family Orientation program. This program, designed specifically to assist families with their transition to the Wolfpack, is optional but highly encouraged. Learn more about Spring First-Year Family Orientation here.
Housing is NOT included for family members in the First-Year Student fee. Click here for a list of local hotels offering discounts through Parents and Families Services.
Advising and Course Registration
Find out if you should contact your academic advisor and register for classes prior to attending Spring Orientation. Instructions can be found on the page that corresponds with when you were admitted to the university:
- Advising and course registration for students admitted in Spring 2017 for Spring 2018 (Spring Connection)
- Advising and course registration for students admitted in Fall 2017 for Spring 2018 (coming soon)
Mobile Guide (coming soon)
Download the NC State University Guides app on your smartphone to access the mobile guide (coming soon). It gives you on-the-go information related to your transition to NC State including Orientation schedules, campus maps, and more!
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, NC State will honor requests for reasonable accommodations made by individuals with disabilities. If you are a student or guest attending a New Student Programs event, have a disability and desire any assistive devices, services, or other accommodations (e.g., ASL interpreter, large print, etc.) to participate in this event, please contact Lori Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org 919.515.1234 during business hours of 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. EST as soon as possible or at least 10 working days prior to the event.
It is recommended that requests be made before Friday, December 22, 2017 as the office will be closed for the University Holidays December 25, 2017 – January 1, 2018.