New Student Orientation, a program that is required for all first-year and transfer students, will help you prepare for your transition into college life as well as the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead—intellectually, emotionally, academically, and socially.
Concurrent Family Orientation programs are highly encouraged for parents and family members so they can learn about University resources and processes. New Student Programs looks forward to welcoming you to the Wolfpack during Orientation!
Spring Orientation Update: October 26, 2021
NC State has decided to move forward with a hybrid format for New Student and Family Orientation for Spring 2022. By offering both virtual and on-campus opportunities for new students and families, we hope to provide you with information and experiences that prepare you for the spring semester while keeping everyone in the Wolfpack community safe.
2022 spring orientation for first-year and transfer students will consist of three parts:
Online Module (required for students; highly encouraged for families)
- Students and families will watch online presentation videos from a variety of campus departments.
- The module will be available by the end of November 2021 and can be completed at your own pace. Students must complete the module before attending the virtual session on January 5.
Virtual Session (required for students; highly encouraged for families)
- All students should attend a virtual session on Zoom on Wednesday, January 5, 2022 from 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. EST
- Registration will open soon.
Campus Visit (optional for students and families)
- Half-day sessions will be offered in-person on December 6, 7, and 8.
- This does not replace the required virtual session.
- Registration will open soon.
Spring 2022 Frequently Asked Questions
Will an orientation program for family members still be offered?
Yes, the Family Orientation program will be offered in a hybrid format like New Student Orientation.
Is virtual orientation required?
We require orientation for all incoming students. The virtual program components are required for students, and the on-campus component is optional.
Orientation for family members and supporters is optional but highly recommended.
When is orientation? Is there a deadline for students?
- The online module will be available by the end of November and must be completed before your virtual session.
- The required virtual session will take place on Zoom on Jan. 5, 2022 in the morning. The deadline to register is Jan. 3 at 12:00 p.m.
- The optional campus visits will take place December 6, 7, and 8 in the morning. The deadline to register is 3 days before each visit.
When will I take placement tests?
All placement testing will be administered online and must be completed a few days before registering for courses. You can learn more and access tests on the Placement Test webpage.
When will I register for spring courses?
You can only register for fall courses after you consult with an academic advisor. You will complete the advising process online, and then you will register for courses using the online MyPack Portal system.
You can find details on the process and timing for advising and registration for each college and program on the following webpages:
- Spring Connect (admitted in March 2021): https://newstudents.dasa.ncsu.edu/springconnect/advising/
- Spring Admits (admitted in Fall 2021): https://newstudents.dasa.ncsu.edu/advising/spring/
Will there still be a Winter Welcome Week?
Winter Welcome Week is scheduled for January 7-15 and will offer various events to help students acclimate to campus life. The schedule will be available on the Winter Welcome Week website in December 2021.
How will I get my student ID card?
Upload a photo for your Wolfpack One Card student ID using our online upload system. Pick up your card during your orientation campus visit or when the spring semester begins. Visit the Photo Upload webpage to learn more.
What will the spring semester look like?
As of now, NC State is planning for a normal spring 2022 semester. Ongoing updates will be posted on the Protect the Pack website.