New Student Orientation, a program that is required for all first-year and transfer students, will help you prepare for your transition into college life as well as the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead—intellectually, emotionally, academically, and socially.
Concurrent Family Orientation programs are highly encouraged for parents and family members so they can learn about University resources and processes. New Student Programs looks forward to welcoming you to the Wolfpack during Orientation!
Summer Orientation Update: April 2, 2021
NC State is anticipating returning to normal operations for the fall semester, and we are encouraged by the current trends of COVID-19 infections throughout our city and state. However, some event restrictions will still be in place this summer that impact our ability to host large gatherings.
NC State has decided to move forward with a hybrid format for New Student and Family Orientation for summer 2021. By offering both virtual and on-campus opportunities for new students and families, we hope to provide you with information and experiences that prepare you for the fall semester while keeping everyone in the Wolfpack community safe.
2021 summer orientation for first-year and transfer students will consist of three parts:
Online Module (required for students; highly encouraged for families)
- Students and families will watch online presentation videos from a variety of campus departments.
- The module will be available in May 2021 and can be completed at your own pace. Students must complete the module before attending their virtual session.
Virtual Session (required for students; highly encouraged for families)
- Virtual half-day sessions will be held on Zoom throughout June and July for each academic college or program.
- Dates are now available, and registration will open in April.
Campus Visit (optional for students and families)
- Half-day sessions will be offered in-person on weekdays throughout July.
- Dates and registration will be available in mid-May.
- Due to venue capacities, students will only be able to bring one family member.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will an orientation program for family members still be offered?
Yes, the Family Orientation program will be offered in a hybrid format like New Student Orientation.
Is virtual orientation required?
We require orientation for all incoming students. The virtual program components are required for students, and the on-campus component is optional.
Orientation for family members and supporters is optional but highly recommended.
When is orientation? Is there a deadline for students?
- The online platform will be available in May and must be completed before your virtual session
- The required virtual sessions take place June-July on Zoom, and dates are now available
- The optional campus visits take place in July, and dates will be announced in mid-May
When will I take placement tests?
All placement testing will be administered online and must be completed by May 21, 2021. You can learn more and access tests on the Placement Test webpage.
When will I register for fall courses?
You can only register for fall courses after you consult with an academic advisor. You will complete the advising process online, and then you will register for courses using the online MyPack Portal system.
You can find details on the process and timing for advising and registration for each college and program on the following webpages:
- First-Year Student Advising and Course Registration – takes place June-July (website coming soon)
- Transfer Advising and Course Registration – takes place shortly after confirming enrollment
Will there still be a Wolfpack Welcome Week?
Wolfpack Welcome Week is scheduled for August 12-21 and will offer various events to help students acclimate to campus life. The schedule will be available on the Wolfpack Welcome Week website in July 2021.
How will I get my student ID card?
Upload a photo for your Wolfpack One Card student ID using our online upload system. Pick up your card during your orientation campus visit or when the fall semester begins. Visit the Photo Upload webpage to learn more.
What will the fall semester look like?
As of now, NC State is planning for a normal fall 2021 semester, and you can read about what we expect that will entail in the latest update from the Chancellor. Ongoing updates will be posted on the Protect the Pack website.