The Information on this page will be updated in Spring 2022. Applications for Summer Start 2022 will be available in Spring 2022.
Please contact New Student Programs at 919.515.1234 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Congratulations on completing your first year at NC State! As you prepare to embark on your second year on campus, you have the opportunity to participate in Summer Start. This program is a unique opportunity for you to continue your NC State undergraduate experience by taking summer session II classes before the start of your second year in August. The opportunity for 2nd year students to participate is new and just for your class!
Whether it’s getting ahead or catching up, Summer Start for 2nd Years offers the opportunity to spend your summer completing courses towards your degree while living in the heart of central campus. It may be a chemistry, math or English class, or maybe you prefer to take courses towards your General Education Plan requirements, Summer Start provides you the opportunity to tailor your summer schedule to your specific needs!
As a part of Summer Start for 2nd Years, you have access to a Summer Start Mentor to assist you as you find your way as part of the NC State community. This experience aims to provide you with a supportive environment that encourages a sense of community and promotes studying, engagement, and well-being.
Through Summer Start for second year students, you have the opportunity to:
- LIVE in the heart of central campus
- CONNECT with new students and student mentors
- EARN up to eight credit hours in summer session II classes
- ENGAGE with faculty in smaller classes
- EXPLORE academic and personal interests in a supportive environment
Summer Start takes place from June 23 – August 4, 2021!
Use the drop-down menus below to learn more about Summer Start.
University Housing is available to students who are interested on a first come, first serve basis until spaces are filled. The residential experience is strongly encouraged and can provide you with a supportive environment that encourages a sense of community to promote studying, engagement, and well-being. For summer 2021, participants are strongly encouraged to consider living on-campus; however, living on-campus during Summer Start is not required for 2021 participants.To learn more about University Housing during Summer Start, visit the University Housing Summer Start webpage.
As you know, course registration for NC State students should be completed after consultation with your academic advisor. If you are unsure of who your academic advisor is, you can find their name in your MyPack Portal (directions at the bottom of the Student Services Center website).
Advising for Summer Start can occur at the same time as your conversation with your academic advisor about fall classes. Once you have spoken with your advisor, use the online MyPack Portal system to enroll in classes.
Prior to discussing summer classes with your academic advisor, you can use the following resources to identify potential summer courses that may count towards your degree.
- Course Search: Search for summer classes by changing the Term to “2021 Summer Term 2” and selecting the correct Course Subject
- Degree Audit: Your Degree Audit shows how the courses you’ve completed—as well as those you plan to take—fulfill your major requirements. Use the link to learn how to find and use the degree audit.
- 8-Semester Display: The Semester-by-Semester Plans reflect an 8-semester display of the requirements for the specific degree program and may help with summer course planning.
While there are costs associated with summer classes and living on-campus, they may be less than you think! Visit the Summer Start Expenses webpage for a view into what your summer may cost.
Financial aid (need-based grants) may still be available! Need-based grants will be funded based on your total credit hours with a minimum enrollment of one degree applicable 3 credit courses in any summer session. Need-based grant funding is determined by your summer aid application and your 2020-21 FAFSA. Submit a summer aid application and we’ll determine your grant eligibility.
If you have not yet applied for summer financial aid, please follow the directions below:
After you’ve registered for summer classes, apply for summer aid:
- Login to MyPack Portal at https://mypack.ncsu.edu
- Navigate to Student Homepage>Financial Aid and select the 2020-21 aid year
- Select Summer Aid
- Open and view all Important Information options and complete the summer aid application. Changes to enrollment plans after the submission of the application will require contacting your financial aid counselor.
A unique aspect of Summer Start is the opportunity to get to know the campus and local community through various co-curricular programs. These programs offer students a small and supportive community to make crucial relationships with faculty, staff, and fellow new students while gaining a head start building your support network with people who have a particular interest in helping you succeed.
Through partnerships with campus offices, you will have various workshops, programs, and events at your fingertips to learn more about your academic and personal interests. With programs happening multiple times a week throughout the five-week program, there is always something to do!
For examples of past events and programs, be sure to check out our Events website from 2020!
Please refer to the following important dates related to Summer Start 2021.
- Deadline to Sign Up: Friday, May 7, 2021
- Program Dates: June 23 – August 4, 2021
- Welcome Program: Wednesday, June 23, 2021
- New Student & Family Orientation Session: Thursday, June 24
- Summer Classes Begin: Monday, June 28, 2021
- Summer Final Exams: August 2 – August 3, 2021