New Student Fall Alternative Service Break
Join New Student Programs and the Center for Student Leadership, Ethics, and Public Service (CSLEPS) for an Alternative Service Break (ASB) trip to the North Carolina mountains over fall break!
What impact does building a 469-mile road have on a park and the surrounding community? As a member of this ASB team, you will have the opportunity to learn about and engage in service on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Asheville, NC. Our team will begin the trip with a visit to the Cherokee Indian Museum followed by two days of service with various Asheville nonprofits that focus on the environmental, economic and sociopolitical impacts of the Parkway on surrounding North Carolina communities. This ASB trip will challenge you to critically reflect and analyze the intersectionality of community issues, your role and responsibility within your community, as well as how you can bring the knowledge and skills you learn back home to NC State and Raleigh.
- Break dates: Thursday, October 5 – Sunday, October 8, 2017
- Pre-break meetings: September 7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th from 7:30pm-8:30pm
- Location: Asheville, North Carolina
- Estimated trip cost will be $150-200 and will include transportation, housing, and meals. (Travel award support available for those who express need.)
- Space available for new first-year and transfer students at NC State
For any additional questions, please contact Genna Martella at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application deadline has passed. If you are still interested in participating in an ASB for fall, winter, or spring break, visit CSLEPS website for a full list of break opportunities.
Application deadline: Thursday, August 24, 2017