Welcome to NC State!
The Office of New Student Programs welcomes you to NC State University, a community of achievers, rich in tradition and academic excellence. To assist you and your family as new members of this community, we invite you to Spring Parents’ Orientation on Wednesday, January 4, 2017. This session is designed specifically for parents and families of new students, and registration is now available.
A detailed schedule is available here, and during the program, you will be able to:
- Get better acquainted with the academic programs and campus services offered to your student
- Gain insights into the potential adjustments your new college student and your family will face
- Meet NC State staff, current students, and other parents and family members.
We hope you will be able to join us for this important program. We are eager for you to feel at home at NC State!
Spring Orientation for all new students (first-year and transfer) and their families will take place on Wednesday, January 4, 2017. Attendance is mandatory for students and highly recommended for parents and family members. Parents’ Orientation runs in conjunction with the student program and is designed to introduce families to the academic programs and special services available at NC State. For information about the student programs, visit our First-Year Spring Orientation and Transfer Spring Orientation pages.
Check in will begin at 8:00 a.m. on the second floor of Talley Student Union. Guests should plan on orientation programming running until approximately 5:00 p.m. that day.
The cost of attendance is included in the mandatory New Student Fee charged to all new students.
- This fee covers your student’s attendance and the attendance of up to two guests, which includes your materials and lunch tickets (up to two per family) for Fountain Dining Hall.
- This does not include overnight housing for parents or guests, but a list of local hotels can be found here.
- No payment is due to New Student Programs. The New Student Fee will be included in your student’s Fall tuition bill.
Parents’ Orientation is a full-day program. Participants can expect to check in from 8:00-8:30 a.m. and stay for programming through 5:00 p.m. Parents and family members are also invited to a “Coffee and Conversation” reception from 5:00p.m. to 6:00p.m. with Parents & Families Services.
The schedule for orientation is not yet available, but here are some resources you can expect to learn about while attending Parents’ Orientation:
- University Dining
- University Police
- Your Student’s College or Program
- Student Health
- Cashier’s Office
- Living at NC State/Commuting to Campus
Parents’ Orientation is an optional program offered to the parents and families of incoming students. Registration for Parents’ Orientation is tied into the student’s registration for orientation and should be done at the same time by the student.
- Only those students who have been accepted and have paid their advanced enrollment deposit ($200.00) can register for Orientation.
- All registrations must be received by January 2, 2017. Please note that the University will be closed for the University Holidays December 26, 2016 – January 2, 2017.
To register for Parents’ Orientation:
- Have your student log in to their WolfPAW account via the Undergraduate Admissions website
- Click on the “Register for Orientation” link under the “My To-Do List” section on the Dashboard.
- Read the instructions and select
- Read the instructions and select the the Spring Orientation session (January 4). Note: This will be the only the session available to your student.
- Scroll down to enter the parent (s) or family member information. Be sure to include a correct email address for your family members as this is the method of our correspondence with them.
- Click “Submit”
- A confirmation email will be sent to the student and parent’s email addresses. Please keep a copy of this email for your records.
If you and your student are having difficulty with the registration process or would prefer to register over the phone, please call the Office of New Student Programs at 919.515.1234. The University will be closed on the following days, so please keep this in mind when requesting assistance via phone or email:
- Thursday November 24 and Friday, November 25, 2016 for Thanksgiving
- Monday December 26, 2016 – January 2, 2017 for the Winter Holiday
Directions and Parking Permit
PARKING FOR WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 4, 2017:
- Orientation participants may park on campus in the Coliseum Parking Deck located off Dunn Avenue. The deck address is 201 Jeter Drive, Raleigh, NC 27607.
- Please print the Orientation Parking Permit and place the permit on the passenger side dashboard of your vehicle. It must be displayed at all times.
HOW TO GET TO NC STATE:
- Directions to the Coliseum Parking Deck (201 Jeter Drive, Raleigh, NC 27607) can be found on the NC State Campus Map interactive website.
- Visit the University Transportation website for road construction updates/closings.
- Please do not try to enter campus via Dan Allen Drive from Hillsborough Street. The road is gated and not accessible to campus from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
Download the NC State University Guides app on your smartphone to access the “2017 Spring Orientation” mobile guide. It gives you on-the-go information related to your student’s transition to NC State including Orientation schedules, campus maps, and more!
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, NC State will honor requests for reasonable accommodations made by individuals with disabilities. If you are a student or guest attending a New Student Programs event, have a disability and desire any assistive devices, services, or other accommodations (e.g., ASL interpreter, large print, etc.) to participate in this event, please contact Lori Wilson email@example.com 919.515.1234 during business hours of 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. EST.
It is recommended that requests be made before Friday, December 23, 2016 as the office will be closed for the University Holidays December 24, 2016 – January 2, 2017.