Orientation Information for Campus Partners
Each summer New Student Programs coordinates the university’s collective efforts to welcome and assist new students and family members through its Orientation programs. Attendance continues to increase each year, and summer 2016 saw the largest group in recent years:
- 6,074 first-year students who brought 4,312 family members
- 1,133 transfer students who brought 1,075 family members
The programs would not be possible without the countless hours of involvement and support from numerous campus partners. Whether you are presenting a session, providing hospitality, advising new students, or coordinating other activities during the program, we are grateful for your efforts to ensure students and families have a successful transition to NC State.
If you have any questions about Student or Family Orientation programs, contact Cameron Hill (Associate Director of New Student Programs) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-515-8286.
Summer 2017 Orientation Calendar (June 19 – July 27, 2017)
- First-Year Student and Family Orientation sessions take place June – July and are a day and a half (sessions are overlapping)
- Transfer Student and Family Orientation sessions will be held on Fridays (June 23, June 30, July 14, July 21) and are a one day program
- International students will attend Orientation with the Office of International Services and NSP on August 9-11
- August Orientation, which is a make up opportunity for domestic students who cannot attend their designated sessions in June or July, will take place on August 10-11 for first-year students and August 11 for transfer students
- Click here for the full Summer 2017 Orientation Calendar
- 2017 First Year Student Orientation Schedule
- 2017 First Year Family Orientation Schedule
- 2017 Transfer Orientation Schedule
- 2017 August Orientation Schedule
Orientation Web Pages:
- First-Year Student Orientation
- First-Year Family Orientation
- Transfer Student Orientation
- Transfer Family Orientation
- International Student Orientation
- International Family Orientation
Important Dates for Presenters
- April 28, 2017: Text for printed and mobile Orientation Schedules due to NSP
- May 1, 2017: Special technology requests due to NSP (*see more details below in the Technology and Presentation Resources>Technology Needs section)
- June 5, 2017:
- Presentation materials (slides and/or video files) due to NSP
- Presenter spreadsheet filled out with presenters names and contact information (*Cameron will share this Google Doc with departments)
- June 12-13, 2017: Presentation practice opportunities for those presenting in Stewart Theatre, Talley Coastal Ballroom, and Witherspoon Cinema will take place (More details to come)
- June 15, 2017, 10:30-11:30am: Orientation Kickoff Event (Talley, Coastal Ballroom) (Click here to add to your Google calendar)
Technology & Presentation Resources
- Click here for a downloadable PowerPoint template that NSP has developed for Orientation presentations.
- We recommending using PowerPoint if you would like to incorporate slide presentation software into your session. All slides should be a 16:9 ratio which is standard for PowerPoint.
- Prezi is not recommended because it is less accessible to guests with disabilities.
- If you use Google slides, please convert it into a PDF or a PowerPoint before sending and make sure nothing has changed visually from the conversion.
- Note: Your slides will be posted online after Orientation for attendees to view
If you are using videos in your presentations, we ask that you provide them in two formats:
- Downloadable file version (.mov, .mp4, .etc.) that we can put on laptops since internet can be spotty during Orientation.
- If possible, please also provide an online version (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) that we can post online after Orientation to share with attendees.
- Each room during Orientation will have a laptop and projector available to presenters unless they indicate they do not need one.
- If you are Stewart Theatre, one of the Talley Ballrooms, or the Witherspoon Cinema, you will have handheld or lavaliere microphones available as well as a presentation clicker to advance slides.
- If you are in a meeting room not listed above in Talley or Witherspoon and need a microphone or clicker for a specific reason, please let us know.
- If you have specific technology needs that were not addressed above, please email Cameron Hill at email@example.com by May 1, 2017.
When developing materials for Orientation, consider utilizing these webpages:
- NC State Brand Guidelines from University Communications (the Copy Guidelines, Visual Identity, and Assets sections may be most helpful)
- “Writing and Speaking About Diversity” from the Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity (includes general diversity terminology, language to avoid, do’s and don’ts, etc.)
- Accessibility Information from the Office of Information Technology
- “Making Powerpoint Slides with Impact” from Forbes
To create an initial positive experience, NSP hosts a Morning Reception, sponsored by University Dining, each morning of an orientation session to provide incoming students and family members an informal opportunity to interact and mingle with members of our community prior to the morning welcome session. This event is recommended for faculty or staff members who enjoy mingling.
- Dates: June 19 – July 26, 2017 (a reception will be held every day except for the week of July 3-7)
- Time: 8:00am-9:00am
- Location for First-Year Sessions (Monday-Thursday): Talley Student Union, One Earth Lounge (2nd floor)
- Location for Transfer Sessions (Fridays): Talley Student Union, 4th floor outside the Woodward Student Involvement Center
- There is no formal sign up to participate. Simply come to the reception wearing an office/departmental name tag to identify yourself to students and families.
- Feel free to bring business cards to share, but please do not share other materials or publications with guests at this time.
- NC State Guides Mobile Guide
- Orientation Landing Page
- Meet the 2017 Orientation Student Staff
- NSP Campus Partner Resources Page
- New Student Checklist