Orientation Information for Campus Partners
Each summer New Student Programs coordinates the university’s collective efforts to welcome and assist new students and family members through its Orientation programs. Attendance continues to increase each year, and summer 2017 saw the largest group in recent years:
- 4,780 first-year students who brought 7,043 family members
- 1,182 transfer students who brought 1,170 family members
The programs would not be possible without the countless hours of involvement and support from numerous campus partners. Whether you are presenting a session, providing hospitality, advising new students, or coordinating other activities during the program, we are grateful for your efforts to ensure students and families have a successful transition to NC State.
If you have any questions about Student or Family Orientation programs, contact Cameron Hill (Associate Director of New Student Programs) at email@example.com or 919-515-8286.
Summer 2018 Orientation Calendar (June 18 – July 26, 2018)
- First-Year Student and Family Orientation sessions take place June – July and are a day and a half (sessions are overlapping)
- Transfer Student and Family Orientation sessions will be held on Fridays (June 22, June 29, July 13, July 20) and are a one day program
- Summer Start students will attend Orientation on Thursday, June 21 – Friday, June 22 if they are first-year students and Friday, June 22 if they are transfer students
- International students will attend Orientation with the Office of International Services and NSP on August 15-17
- August Orientation, which is a make up opportunity for domestic students who cannot attend their designated sessions in June or July, will take place on August 16-17 for first-year students and August 17 for transfer students
- Click here for the full Summer 2018 Orientation Calendar
- 2018 First-Year Student Orientation Schedule
- 2018 First-Year Family Orientation Schedule
- 2018 Transfer Orientation Schedule
- 2018 August Orientation Schedule (coming soon)
Orientation Web Pages:
- First-Year Student Orientation
- First-Year Family Orientation
- Transfer Student Orientation
- Transfer Family Orientation
- International Student Orientation
- International Family Orientation
- Summer Start Orientation
Important Dates for Presenters
- May 4, 2018:
- Text for printed and mobile Orientation Schedules due to NSP
- Special technology requests due to NSP (*see more details below in the Technology and Presentation Resources>Technology Needs section)
- June 1, 2018: Presentation materials (slides and/or video files) due to NSP
- June 7-8, 2018: Presentation practice opportunities for those presenting in Stewart Theatre, Talley Coastal Ballroom, and Witherspoon Cinema will take place (More details to come)
- June 8, 2018: Presenter spreadsheet filled out with presenters names and contact information (*Cameron will share this Google Doc with departments)
- June 18, 2018: First Day of Orientation
Technology & Presentation Resources
- Click here for a downloadable PowerPoint template that NSP has developed for Orientation presentations.
- We recommending using PowerPoint if you would like to incorporate slide presentation software into your session. All slides should be a 16:9 ratio which is standard for PowerPoint.
- Prezi is not recommended because it is less accessible to guests with disabilities.
- If you use Google slides, please convert it into a PDF or a PowerPoint before sending and make sure nothing has changed visually from the conversion.
- Note: Your slides will be posted online after Orientation for attendees to view
When giving us your videos, we ask that you provide them in two formats
- Downloadable file version (.mov, .mp4, .etc.) that we can put on laptops since internet can be spotty during Orientation.
- If possible, please also provide an online version (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) that we can post online after Orientation to share with attendees.
To ensure greater accessibility at Orientation, we are striving to ensure that every video played during the program has captioning.
- Once you send your video file(s), NSP will pay the Office of Information Technology for captioning services. We will then send your office an updated file with captions for your own future use.
- If your office would like to handle captioning your own videos, an online NC State Captioning Guide can be found at https://oit.ncsu.edu/help-support/it-accessibility/tutorials/captioning-guide/
- Each room during Orientation will have a laptop and projector available to presenters unless they indicate they do not need one.
- If you are Stewart Theatre, one of the Talley Ballrooms, or the Witherspoon Cinema, you will have handheld or lavaliere microphones available as well as a presentation clicker to advance slides.
- If you are in a meeting room not listed above in Talley or Witherspoon and need a microphone or clicker for a specific reason, please let us know.
- If you have specific technology needs that were not addressed above, please email Cameron Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 4, 2018.
When developing materials for Orientation, consider utilizing these webpages:
- NC State Brand Guidelines from University Communications (the Copy Guidelines, Visual Identity, and Assets sections may be most helpful)
- “Writing and Speaking About Diversity” from the Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity (includes general diversity terminology, language to avoid, do’s and don’ts, etc.)
- Accessibility Information from the Office of Information Technology
- “Making Powerpoint Slides with Impact” from Forbes
To create an initial positive experience, NSP hosts a Morning Reception, sponsored by University Dining, each morning of an orientation session to provide incoming students and family members an informal opportunity to interact and mingle with members of our community prior to the morning welcome session. This event is recommended for faculty or staff members who enjoy mingling.
- Dates: June 18 – July 25, 2018 (a reception will be held every day except for the week of July 2-6)
- Time: 8:00am-9:00am
- Location for First-Year Sessions (Monday-Thursday): Talley Student Union, One Earth Lounge (2nd floor)
- Location for Transfer Sessions (Fridays): Talley Student Union, 4th floor outside the Woodward Student Involvement Center
- There is no formal sign up to participate. Simply come to the reception wearing an office/departmental name tag to identify yourself to students and families.
- Feel free to bring business cards to share, but please do not share other materials or publications with guests at this time.
- NC State Guides Mobile Guide
- Orientation Landing Page
- Meet the 2018 Orientation Student Staff
- NSP Campus Partner Resources Page
- New Student Checklist