About the Selection Committee
Charge to the Committee from the Provost:
- Identify and apply the criteria that will qualify a text for consideration.
- Solicit recommended texts from your constituents and from a broad representation of the university community in addition to your own active participation in the nomination process.
- Conduct a process by which the strongest nominations can be recommended to the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor, and Vice Chancellor and Dean of the Division of Academic and Student Affairs for adoption, including rationale for the consideration of each work.
- Serve as an informed and active resource regarding the purpose, process and means for engaging our NC State community in the Common Reading experience.
2017 Selection Committee:
(Listed alphabetically by last name)
- Darby Orcutt, 2017 Selection Committee Chair, Faculty Senate Representative
- Chris Anson, Campus Writing and Speaking Program
- Andrea Atkin, University College
- Margy Brantley, Parent Representative
- Alisha Brice, College of Design
- Kent Bryant, Community Partner (Quail Ridge Bookstore)
- Michael Coombes, New Student Programs (Ex-Officio)
- Richard Corley, Staff Senate Representative
- Andrew Cox, University Honors Program
- Ken Esbenshade, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Marian Fragola, NCSU Libraries
- Ann Harrington, College of Education
- Martin Hubbe, Academy of Outstanding Teachers
- Melissa Jackson, College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Angela Jenkins, African American Cultural Center
- Chad Jordan, Faculty-at-Large
- Jennifer Landin, College of Sciences
- Kari Lewis, University College
- Holly Menninger, College of Sciences
- Matthew Miller, Student-at-Large
- Tamah Morant, Associate Deans Council
- Ashleen Norris, NC State Bookstores (Ex-Officio)
- Hatice Ozturk, College of Engineering
- Marielle Pocan, Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
- Jane Porterfield, College of Textiles
- Tracey Ray, Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity
- Kathleen Rieder, College of Design
- Ronald Sederoff, College of Natural Resources
- Laura Severin, First Year Writing Program
- Eileen Taylor, Office of Faculty Development
- Emma Thompson, Park Scholarships Program
- Paul Tongsri, Office of Student Conduct
Questions? Email the Common Reading Program by clicking here or call New Student Programs at 919.515.1234.