Learn about your college’s specific requirements
Calendar of Events
Get involved and stay in the loop with these upcoming events.
Follow along on Social Media with the #OnePackOneBook
$2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America by Kathryn Edin and H. Luke Shaefer is NC State’s 2018 Common Reading Program selection!
Each year, a committee of students, faculty, staff and parents selects a Common Reading to provide a shared experience to the campus community and incoming first-year class. You are required or strongly encouraged to read $2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America based upon their academic college or program.
You can expect to receive your copy of $2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in Americaat New Student Orientation and can learn more about requirements by clicking on the College Requirements link to the left.
A Reading Guide for Students, created by the Common Reading Selection Committee, is available to assist you in processing $2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America, with questions to consider and opportunities for reflection as you read.
We hope $2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America will challenge you to see your experiences and views through different lenses and we hope you plan on joining us at Convocation on Monday, August 20 at Reynolds Coliseum to hear more about the text and how it relates to your first year experience.
ENGAGE WITH $2.00 A DAY
- READ $2.00 a Day before returning in August
- SHARE your experience with the book through Twitter and Instagram with #OnePackOneBook
- HEAR about the experiences of NC State students through the Beyond the Belltower Podcast
- LEARN about Pack Essentials, a resource for students at NC State facing food and housing insecurity
- JOIN Author Kathryn Edin and the Class of 2022 at Convocation on Monday, August 20
- PARTICIPATE in book related events (check out the Calendar of Events for events in the fall!)
- APPLY for a Common Reading Mini-Grant to connect to the book and impact your community
Require an accessible version of the book?
If you are an incoming student requiring an accessible version of $2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America, you should register with the Disability Resource Office who can provide you with instructions on obtaining an accessible version. For assistance with any questions regarding accommodations, please contact Disability Resource Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919.515.7653.