Common Reading Program
See your specific requirements related to the Common Reading Program
Calendar of Events
Get involved and stay in the loop with these upcoming events.
Follow along on Social Media with the #OnePackOneBook
Between the World and Me
Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates is NC State’s 2017 Common Reading Program selection.
Each year, a committee of students, faculty, staff and parents selects a Common Reading to provide a shared experience to the campus community and incoming first-year class. Students are required or strongly encouraged to read Between the World and Me based upon their academic college or program.
Students can expect to receive their copy of Between the World and Me at New Student Orientation and can learn more about requirements by clicking on the College Requirements link to the left.
Download the Reading Guide for Students, which was created by the Common Reading Selection Committee to assist first-year students in processing Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates, for questions to consider and opportunities for reflection as you read. While the questions posed are not discipline-specific, you are encouraged to consider how the text relates to your future academic studies and the real world applications the text may present.
We hope Between the World and Me will challenge you to see your experiences and views through different lenses as it has for your faculty and staff and we hope you plan on joining us at Convocation on
Monday, August 14 at Reynolds Coliseum to hear more about the text and how it relates to your first year experience.
ENGAGE WITH BETWEEN THE WORLD AND ME
- READ Between the World and Me before returning in August
- WATCH Ta-Nehisi Coates’ interview with the Atlantic and the Daily Show with Trevor Noah to learn more about Ta-Nehisi’s work
- SHARE your experience with the book through Twitter and Instagram with #OnePackOneBook
- HEAR about Between the World and Me with the Class of 2021 at Convocation on Monday, August 14
- PARTICIPATE in book related events (check out the Calendar of Events for upcoming events!)
- APPLY connected course material and themes from the book to impact your community.
- SUBMIT a proposal for the Common Reading Program Mini-Grant, which provides money to activities that support students’ understand and engagement with Between the World and Me.