1887 Fellows is an exclusive cohort experience for first-year students that creates a foundation for success in their first semester. This program brings together ambitious and passionate students through a series of experiences that support their growth as they navigate their transition to NC State. Immediately after selection, new Fellows become part of the 1887 community and are launched into the expectations and opportunities that await:
1887 Fellows Off-Campus Retreat where Fellows meet the cohort and develop leadership and academic skills that will prepare them to enter the Wolfpack
Goal Coaching where Fellows work with a staff member who will help them develop and meet their goals
Weekly 1887 Socials where Fellows develop bonds with the cohort, hear from student leaders, and enjoy a social and study space exclusively available to members of the program
Attend 3 campus events where Fellows explore the campus community and involvement opportunities
At the end of the semester, and as a result of completing the program requirements, students will receive a $150.00 gift card to the NC State Bookstores to assist in the purchase of textbooks in the fall semester.
Please note regarding financial aid
For students receiving financial aid from NC State University, these awards will count as a resource and may impact financial aid awards distributed by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. Impacts in financial aid will vary by student, so if students have concerns regarding impacts, they should contact their Financial Aid Counselor in the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. Students can find out who their Financial Aid Counselor is by clicking here and can email their counselor or call the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid at 919.515.NCSU.
Spring Cohort Information
- Application deadline extended on rolling basis until January 7, 2020 at midnight
- Fellows Retreat is overnight and off campus from Saturday, January 11-Sunday, January 12, 2020
- Weekly socials Mondays from 7:00 PM- 8:00 PM
Who can apply?
- Any first-year student beginning their career at NC State in Fall 2019 or Spring 2020. However, any student not already part of a Scholars or Honors program nor living in a Living Learning Village is strongly encouraged to apply.
How much of a time commitment is this?
- Participants will dedicate time to the program through weekly socials, three 1-hour coaching sessions, a day and a half retreat, and 3 on-campus events.
When are the coaching sessions? How long do they last?
- Coaching sessions will occur every 3-4 weeks each semester. Each session will last between 30-60 minutes long.
Do I need to attend everything? What do I get at the end?
- Yes! In order to receive the $150 gift card to the NC State Bookstore at the end of the semester, Fellows must complete all program requirements.